Tuesday, February 5, 2008

See you on the flip side...

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, and as all good Catholics know, it is the beginning of the Church season of Lent. For those not in the know, Lent (which begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts until Easter Sunday... 40 days!!!) is a time of prayer, almsgiving and sacrifice. I have no problem with the first two... it's the sacrifice part that gives me a hard time.

Every year, I spend hours trying to figure out what to give up for Lent. But I've never been able to come up with anything that would be considered a real hardship. Chocolate and candy? I could take it or leave it. Coffee? I fill my travel mug once in the morning and sometimes I don't even finish that. TV? I don't watch anything regularly except for "Lost"... which would be a hardship, but everyone and their mother is going to be talking about it, and I'd find out what happened before I had a chance to watch it.

So I thought harder... What do I spend most of my free time doing? Well, aside from reading and listening to music, I spend most of my time on the computer. Specifically, on myspace. Therefore, I've decided to give up myspace for 40 days.

Yikes.

I've discussed the matter of Lent with my parents and with my co-workers, and several people have always held the belief that whatever you give up for Lent you are allowed to indulge in on Sundays. Has anyone else ever heard that? All the people I've asked who are my parents' age (late 50s) grew up following that trend. I don't know how it escaped me. Anyway... if that is true, then I might possibly pop in on a Sunday or two, but only to check for messages, comments or invitations. I will not be posting any blogs, completing any surveys, leaving any comments or uploading any new pics between tomorrow and Easter.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment