Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday.

Most people dread Mondays. It's that whole "back to work" thing that gives Monday a bad name. But this week, I was looking forward to getting back to a normal routine. 
  
I foolishly (?) started my weekend on Thursday night - karaoke at the bar with a very fun group of people. I drank too much and stayed out too late, resulting in a groggy, hungover Friday morning. Then I went out and did it again on Saturday night. My poor body can't handle this kind of schedule anymore. I was cranky, sore, and tired from not sleeping well. I had no appetite Sunday morning... and when I finally ate, it was bowling alley pizza and a glass of soda (which I almost never drink). Then last night I decided that I was going to be healthy. I had a green salad with grilled chicken for dinner, followed by a homemade fruit salad for dessert (strawberries, blueberries, kiwi). I packed today's breakfast (oatmeal with dried fruit, a banana) and lunch (green salad with grilled chicken, 60 calorie pudding, raspberries). And by the afternoon, my stomach was upset. Perhaps the sudden change in diet had an effect on me. 
  
Or maybe it's stress. I've got a lot of my mind right now. I don't know if I'll have a job next year. There are budget cuts and layoffs happening in the district... and unfortunately, my job might be at risk. The school where I used to teach (for 8 years) is closing its doors in a few weeks, and this weekend is the closing Mass. A few days ago, someone asked me when my summer break was. I said, "June 17th, but then I'm attending a week-long workshop and then I'm teaching summer school for 5 weeks." He responded, "Wow. You don't get a break." And it made me think I really do want a break. But I need the money, especially if something happens with the job. Plus, I'd be bored if I had off all summer. 
    
Oh, and for the past few days, I've been ridiculously paranoid that some people are avoiding me. 
  
Blah. 
  
Okay. Now that I've gotten all that out of my system, I feel a little lighter. And there are plenty of positives here. Despite the excessive drinking, I had a fantastic weekend. I laughed a lot, I hung out with some great people, I saw my family and my dog. I did some cleaning and shopping. I gave myself a pedicure, grilled a delicious dinner, watched some of my favorite movies. It definitely wasn't a wasted weekend. No regrets. 
  
This afternoon I gave all of this a lot of thought during my 3 mile walk, and I came to a conclusion: all I need is a little balance. How very Libra of me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment