Sunday, March 23, 2008

I did it!

Okay, so I used the Sunday cheat... but I still gave up myspace for 40 days! In the beginning, it was definitely a hardship. I was SO tempted to sign on to see if I had any comments, invitations or messages. But as Lent went on, I began to miss myspace less and less. I still felt out of the loop, but the need to sign on wasn’t as pressing as it had been initially.

Anyway... Happy Easter, everyone! Or as we say in Ukrainian... Khrystos voskres! (Which means, "Christ is risen!") I spent the weekend at my parents’ house. I dyed Easter eggs and baked a rum cake... and then I helped my mother take two baskets of food to church to get blessed. I found out recently that not everyone does this, lol. It’s a Polish tradition... each food in the basket represents something special for Easter. Our baskets were filled with ham, salt, horseradish, kielbasa, babka (yeast bread with raisins... after it’s blessed, it’s called paska), dyed eggs, and a butter lamb (which we made using a lamb mold). Mmmm... yummy....

My Easter started early... with Mass, of course... and then a big breakfast with my parents (using some of the food we had gotten blessed yesterday). After that, I cleaned some stuff out of my old bedroom and then took a little catnap. Later, we had Easter dinner at my mom’s cousin’s house. It was a typical family dinner: loud and crowded. Doug and Kyle (my 16 year-old godson) brought their guitars, so there was some singing (something I sorely miss now that Doug and I aren’t living at home anymore). It was a fun time, but I was so glad to finally get back to the apartment. Peace and quiet... my own bed... pure bliss!

I had way too much caffeine tonight, so I’m trying to unwind by watching some TV and drinking a small amount of brandy (which is also keeping me toasty warm!). And soon... bedtime!

Hope everyone had a great day! Don’t eat too much Easter candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment