Thursday, June 26, 2008

A story

Let me preface my story by saying that I tend of think of my life, and the people in it, in terms of chapters. Starting with nursery school, neighborhood friends, grade school and high school. Then college. By then, I had severed ties with most of my high school friends, with the exception of Rick and Erin, and I met a few new college friends in class and choir (other Erin, Erica and Regina). Somewhere between college #1 and college #2, Erin and I drifted apart, and I started hanging out with Inara, Angie and Rob... and then by the time I was in college #2, I added my roommates to that mix. In the summer, I worked at Dress Barn, where I found still more people to hang out with. After college, I lost touch with some of that group and got my first real job teaching at a charter school. That's where I met Heather, Kara and Renee. By now, I was a "grown up," in that I had a car, a real job and I could legally drink in bars. I stayed at the charter school for a year, after which I got my current job at the Catholic school... where I met my good friend Bridezilla and later, Amy. And it was around that time that I reconnected with old high school friends, plus a few extra faces (Miguel, Heather, Joe) with more soon to follow (Dooner, John).

It amazes me how some things can come full circle. People that I thought I'd never talk to again now have prominent roles in my life, such as drinking buddy, roommate, or best friend (again... Erin and I picked up pretty much where we left off). And myspace has put me back in touch with Shelly (Dress Barn), Erin and Erica (college #1), Angela (college #2), Rick, Angie and many, many others.

Anyway, my story... other Heather called me today to see if I wanted to go out Saturday night. We got in touch with Renee, and she suggested dancing. That might sound innocent, but let me assure you that in the past, "going out dancing" consisted of copious amounts of alcohol and extremely late nights. Not that I'm complaining. We used to go into the city and pre-drink at Renee's apartment... then walk over to Bar Noir or the Irish Pub, depending on our mood. Some nights we cabbed it to Envy or Five Spot for a more clubby dance experience. We were regulars at a few bars... bartenders who knew us would have our beers opened before we could get from the front door to the bar. Once we had drinks, the dancing would start... hours of dancing. Our night would end after closing hours, hanging out with the bartenders or going to an after hours club. We'd end up at Wawa or a diner for breakfast somewhere in the wee hours of the morning. Then back to Renee's apartment to sleep... followed by MASSIVE hangovers. And we did that pretty much every weekend. Sometimes twice a weekend.

All good things must come to an end... and that's what eventually happened with us. We lost touch with Renee... Heather moved... you know how it goes. So even though Heather and I still kept in touch, that chapter of my life had pretty much closed. I got back in touch with Renee last year, only to find that she was pregnant and engaged! So now she's a proud mommy and wife, and hasn't been out drinking since before her daughter was born. Until now. Saturday night the three of us are going out dancing. It should make for an interesting night. I'll bring my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment