Thursday, July 17, 2008

updates...

Well, friends... it's mid-July. Normally, this is the time of year when I start getting back-to-school fever. Not because I miss work or anything... or course not. Not even a little bit. (Well, maybe just a smidge.) But mostly because this is the time of year when all the stores start advertising back-to-school sales, and I get the urge to stock up on goodies for my classroom. But this year is a little different. I have no idea where I'll be in September.

As most (or all) of you know, I've been job hunting for awhile. Since last summer, to be exact, but my trip to Australia got in the way of that. Anyway, I started updating my paperwork again this past February and by April I was sending out resumes and application packets. (Applying for a teaching job is like applying to college... I
blogged about it awhile back if you're interested. Which you're probably not, unless you're a teacher. In which case, you'd already know the process, so forget it, lol.)

Since I have no summer job, my mornings consist of searching 4 job-finder websites and 21 local school district websites for available positions. Between April and now, I have sent resumes/application packets to 8 different schools/districts. Out of those 8, I've heard from 2 districts. I had an interview with the one school district last week (which went well), and I got a form postcard from another school district (no positions now, but they hold my resume for a year).

I'm starting to get worried. I'm well qualified, I have great experience, and all my paperwork is in order. So why haven't I heard back from other schools? Is something wrong with my resume? Sigh.

On the plus side, I still have a job to fall back on. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I have to be back in my classroom in mid-August to start setting up, so if I don't get another job offer before then, I'll have to give up on the job hunt for this year.

Keep some fingers and toes crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment