Saturday, July 26, 2008

Harder and harder to breathe.

I need some help from anyone who's in a position to offer advice. Even if you're not in a position to offer advice. I don't care. I just need someone to tell me anything that might calm me down a little.

I'm having money issues. I know some (or all) of you have been in the same boat before. My current problem is that I'm trying to live off of my Catholic school salary, which isn't stretching as far as it used to. When I moved out of my parents' house last year, I still had a decent amount of money in my checking account and a good amount put away in savings, and I was pretty comfortable. But over time, my checking account depleted... and I had to dip into my savings to make ends meet.

You know the whole story about the job hunt... I've been blogging about it for ages. I haven't had any luck finding a new job for next school year, so I'm back in the Catholic school again. Not the end of the world... I still have a job, etc etc. But I was pretty convinced that I'd have something by now. And every time someone asks about it, they say the same thing: "Oh, I thought for sure you'd have a new job by now." I heard that twice last weekend and it really got to me. I think that's what set off the panic. I was sure that my degrees and my experience would be enough to get me hired at some fabulous (and better paying) school district. What I didn't think about was the thousands of college grads who would also be looking for work this summer. A teacher's salary is determined by education and experience. It costs less to hire a teacher fresh out of college than it does to hire me.

On top of that, our last paycheck for this past school year will come on August 15, and our first check for the new school year will be on September 5, which means I have to go 3 weeks between checks instead of 2. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, but when you live paycheck to paycheck, it can be. I'm really hoping I don't have anything major to pay for in that time.

So the failed job hunt and the pay gap have me pretty upset. On top of that, I have bills due and our fridge is practically empty. I don't have enough money for social events or extras. Everytime I think about it, my chest tightens, my throat constricts, and my head throbs. (Is that a panic attack? If it is, I've been having them for the past few days.)

Like I said, I know I'm not the only one who's been in this boat. And I'm sure there are people who have been worse off than I have. But this is the worst I've ever been and it's freaking me out.

So here's where the advice comes in. I need to know if anyone has any tricks for saving money, stretching paychecks, cutting corners or anything along those lines. (I'm already looking for a second job.) And I desperately need some advice on how to stay calm. I can't deal with the panic.

Thanks in advance. I hate sounding dramatic and needy... and I hate airing my money issues here on myspace. But I just don't know what else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment