Monday, January 2, 2006

NYE, and the resolution story

Ah, New Year's Eve. I know, I bitched about it in my last blog. I said it's "not fun anymore." It's just that the pressure to do something fabulous is sky-high, and it gets hard to live up to such great expectations.

But this year was a blast. A friend and I drove to NY to visit our friends in the Bronx. A limo picked us (and 3 other people) up at 6:30 and took us upstate a bit to Mt. Fuji, a hibachi restaurant. We had an AMAZING meal (complete with cooking entertainment): fried rice, noodles, shrimp, veggies, filet mignon, chicken. Out of this world. After dinner, we went to the adjoining bar/lounge for drinks and dancing until the midnight countdown. There were the requisite hats and horns, and of course, a champagne toast... and about 2 hundred drunk people trying to sing "Auld Lang Syne" (a song I can't even spell, let alone sing). Good times were had by all. A truly fun, memorable, drama-free New Year's Eve.

An apology to several people - I tried to send Happy New Year texts to you, but the lines were completely jammed and nothing was going through. It took me half an hour just to get a phone call through to Doug. So Happy New Year to all of you!
Now, about the resolutions. Here's my opinion on the whole situation. I used to make resolutions in January, but I never kept them. I finally figured out why - it's too overwhelming. You make a list of 5 or 6 things that you want to start doing for the new year. You try to do them all at once, but it gets to be too much, so you stop. And then you wind up breaking all of your resolutions at once.

So here is my ONE resolution for the year 2006: If I think of something I need to do, or a goal that I'd like to make, I resolve to do something about it right then and there. It's March, and I think, "Wow, I wish I had money to go on vacation." Why, I'll take a percentage of my paycheck and open a vacation fund, right then and there. Say it's August, and I think to myself - "Man, I haven't been taking my vitamins as regularly as I should be." Instead of waiting until January to begin that routine, I'll do it right away.
I resolve to DO SOMETHING WHEN IT OCCURS TO ME. That's my resolution. To carpe my diem, if you will.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment