Wednesday, December 27, 2006

out with the old

As 2006 winds down, I've found myself thinking about what I've done this year. It's only natural to compare oneself with other people and unfortunately, that's what I started doing today. I thought of all the people I know ... some got into serious relationships, some got engaged or married, some got pregnant or had a baby, some got promoted or found a better, higher-paying job, some moved into new houses or apartments, some went on fabulous vacations.

Well... by way of comparison, my love life is still non-existent, so no boyfriends, fiances or husbands here. Which means no pregnancies or babies, either. Still working at the same place, which means I'm making basically no money, which means I'm still living at home... so no new house. And no fabulous trips, either. I've been to New Jersey and New York and that's about the extent of my travels this year.

(Fear not, dear reader! This is not a pity party! I just wanted to set the mood for what will no doubt be the uplifting portion of this post.)

This line of thinking threatened to put me in a foul state of mind. I firmly believe in the power of positive thinking, so I decided to make a list of all the things I've accomplished this year, no matter how insignificant they may seem. Behold! My year-in-review:

  • Took two grad school courses during spring semester while also working full-time. Got an A in both courses.
  • Took three summer courses while also working summer camp. Got an A in all three courses.
  • Took Reading Clinic (similar to student teaching) in fall semester while working full-time. Got an A in the course.
  • Finished grad school.
  • Continued to work at catholic school (this is my 6th year there).

And that is all. I mean, I could add more. Like, "I didn't get into any car accidents." Or, "The stomach flu completely missed me!" But those sound more like chance than accomplishment. No matter. I will end the year celebrating the things I have done, and I look forward to enjoying a prosperous 2007!

No comments:

Post a Comment