Thursday, December 21, 2006

Remember what I said about candles?

So the holiday season is upon us... and that means the candle-count is officially on. For those of you not in the know, there are a number of typical "teacher" gifts that parents and students have been known to rely on. Example one: the mug filled with candy. As was stated in a previous blog, the candy is never anything of high (or even slightly mediocre) quality, but instead, the cheap foil-wrapped strawberries (which I despise) or those generic butterscotch candies. And in my neighborhood, I get the candies with labels printed in Spanish. Some hard candies with fruit flavored fillings. Ick.

Then there's example two: body lotion/shower gel. I'm not opposed to being clean or having soft hands. But when said lotions come from the dollar store, I'm hesitant to use them on my sensitive skin. And they always come in scents that make my eyes water... floral scents or musky fragrances. Not my type at all.

Which brings us to popular teacher-gift number three: the candle. I just started getting gifts from my students today... out of six gifts, four were candles. Two huge pillar candles (one scented, one unscented but decorated in gold swirls), one small jar candle (black cherry) and one tiny taper candle that came with a glass candle holder that resembles a funky shot glass. In fact, I might just trash the candle and convince Joe to make me up a batch of Funky Cold Medina for my new "shot glass."

For those of you who have children and are wondering what their teacher might appreciate for Christmas, here's a no-fail list, from me to you. Gift card to any restaurant. Gift card to Target, Walmart, Kmart or similar store where she might be able to purchase classroom supplies. Gift card to any book store... or, if you're so inclined, buy a few books for her classroom library. Gift card to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. Home-baked goodies are always appreciated. If you want to be really generous, offer your time in the classroom. Any teacher would be happy to have an extra pair of hands for a few hours a week. You could cut patterns, file papers, read with children, stamp homework, make copies... the possibilities are endless. But please... I BEG of you... no more candles!

No comments:

Post a Comment