Saturday, February 3, 2007

a night out

Last night a group of us went to the Roadhouse in Bensalem. It's a fun bar, except for a few drawbacks. First and foremost, it's not a smoke-free bar. Before I left the house, I was clean and smelled fabulous. By the end of the night I smelled like I'd smoked a carton by myself. So much for my perfume.

Another drawback is the clientele. I've been to bars in center city and I've been to bars in the northeast (and its immediate suburbs). The difference in the type of people who frequent these establishments is vast. Last night I saw people in sweatshirts, people in shorts, people with mullets (of both the male and female persuasion). The average age appeared to fall into two categories: 21-25 and over 40. The "younger" crowd are the ones who get sloppy drunk and dance like they're having sex. The 40+ crowd gets drunk while sitting at the bar or attempting to play pool. I just don't feel like I fit in with either of those groups of people. Where do people our age hang out? But anyway, it was a good time overall.

So I was thinking about something on the way home. When I go out to a bar or club, I make an effort to look my best. I don't just throw on jeans and a hoodie and run out the door. I pick out clothes that I think are flattering, put on make-up, do my hair, accessorize, put on perfume. But I'm not sure it makes a damn bit of difference. I mean, I feel good about myself when I look good, so that's important. But the drunk men in the bars we frequent seem drawn to a certain type of woman, and I'm clearly not it. If I went to the bar in sweats with my hair in a ponytail, I would likely garner the same amount of male attention as I do in my "going out" clothes. Just when I think I have it all figured out, I find out I don't know as much as I thought I did. If that makes sense.

On a completely unrelated note... You know what I really need right now? Some people to hang out with who share my taste in music. There are two concerts near approaching that I'd like to go to. Sadly, none of my friends listen to either band (Aqualung and OK Go). Plus, I'm dying to go to see Ike or Jealousy Curve sometime soon. If you're a fan, LET ME KNOW!!! I miss concerts! I miss live music!!!

I guess that's all for tonight. Gonna go finish watching "Ron Burgundy." Stay classy, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment