Monday, February 19, 2007

oink

Hello... and a hearty "Gung hay fat choy!" to all! Saturday night I had the distinct pleasure of enjoying a cultural evening out with Sam and MK. First, we headed to one of Temple's smaller theaters to see "The Importance of Being Earnest." Oscar Wilde may be a kook, but he writes a damn fine play. The acting was superb and the wit was plentiful. From there, we ventured by cab to the Chinatown section of the city, whereupon I feasted on a delectable meal of won ton soup, kung pao chicken, and pork fried rice. We stepped out of the restaurant precisely at midnight and were greeted by a large crowd of onlookers eager to watch the fesitivities of Chinese New Year as the year of the pig began. The celebration commenced with lion dancers accompanied by traditional drum music. As the lions went from restaurant to restaurant, a string of firecrackers were set off. Once each string was complete, the lions tore through the bag of lettuce that was left behind, searching for hidden money. All in all, an entertaining and enlightening evening.

And that's about it for culture. In other news, I'm socially retarded. When I was addressing invitations for a party, I printed mailing labels from the computer. However, I didn't mail invitations to my co-workers... I simply put their envelopes in their mailboxes in the faculty room. Since I didn't print address labels for those invitations, I just wrote their first name on the envelope. Stupid me forgot to specify that their spouses are also invited. I couldn't figure out why no one was responding for two people until last night. Damnit. So now I have to go to work and tell them I'm an idiot. Oh well. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment