Saturday, August 9, 2008

One world, one dream.

I just spent 4 1/2 hours watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony. It was pure bliss. I'm not an Olympic junkie - in fact, sometimes it gets on my nerves when I find out that a show I want to watch has been bumped by game coverage - but there's something special about an Olympic year. Especially the opening ceremony.

I won't bore you with the details of this year's ceremony in Beijing. If you watched it, you know how amazing it was. If you missed it... well, that's your loss. My favorite thing about the opening ceremonies is that they're always unique. By watching, I learn a lot about the host nation and I get a feel for their fashion, tradition, culture and history. I love love LOVE the Parade of Nations. All the athletes marching through the stadium in matching outfits... some in traditional costume, others in trendy suits with kicky berets (ahem, Team America). Everyone is giddy, snapping pics, waving. I just love the energy. And then... the lighting of the torch. It's all good. It's all very, very good.

As far as the games go, I like watching some. This year, I'll probably try to catch gymnastics, swimming, diving, and maybe some basketball. And then I'll skip some of the other games (weight lifting, track, judo). I'm a big fan of watching the medal ceremony... the flags and the national anthems... the tears. I don't even care which country wins, lol.

I think, overall, what I like the most about the Olympics is the sense that all of the nations in the world can find one thing that they agree on. And they manage to put their weapons down and play nice for a few weeks (at least in the host country). Makes you wonder why they can't take that mentality and apply it to other things.

Anyway. That's all I have to say about that. Just felt like sharing with you. Feel free to share back... that's what the comments are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment