Saturday, February 12, 2011

That thing you do.

I had a Facebook "conversation" today about my how I like things organized a certain way. My friend jokingly referred to me as OCD. That's not the case, but I think it's true that we all have our own obsessions, rituals, habits and idiosyncracies that other people view as bizarre. Here are a few of mine:

When I get a new box of Crayola crayons, I dump the crayons out and put them back in "color order." (The order is loosely based on ROYGBIV... some colors are harder to classify, but I put them where I think they fit best.)

When I take eggs out of the carton, I always alternate which side I take from. Sounds wacky, I know. But I like balance and symmetry. If all the eggs are on one side of the carton, then it's unbalanced and lopsided.

All of my DVDs are arranged alphabetically. Christmas DVDs and box sets are separated from the regular movies. Box sets are in chronological order. Books are arranged alphabetically by author's last name (same as the library, lol). If I have more than one book by an author, then they are alphabetical by title... unless they're part of a series, in which case they are in number order.

My digital pictures are stored on the computer. I have categories for different things, but most of my pics are arranged in folders by year. So for example, I have a folder called 2010. In that folder are folders for every event/occasion, and they are named date first, then description (07-10 Barbecue, 12-10 Christmas).

I pack 2 napkins in my lunchbag every day. I have no idea when that habit started.

I won't put a container or jar in the recycling bin unless I've rinsed it out first. Partly because of bugs, partly because of smell... but mostly because I don't like when things drip all over the bin and/or floor.

I'm usually the last person to go to bed in the apartment... before I leave the living room, I straighten the cushions, put the throw pillows back where they belong, and fold the blankets. I don't know why. It's not like anyone is going to see the apartment after I go to bed.

There are more... but this is just a nice little sample of what goes on in my head. I know you have a little bit of crazy hiding somewhere. Go share it in the comments. It'll make me feel less neurotic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment