Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Gods of Water

Apparently I have pissed off the Gods of Water. I don't know when or where it happened, but it must have been a doozy.
   
Yesterday it stormed all day, and last night my bedroom wall and ceiling were leaking - again. This has been an ongoing problem since my 2nd month in this apartment. But this is not where the story begins.
   
When I lived in an apartment in college, there was a hot water pipe that ran through the bathroom from floor to ceiling. It would get so hot that my roommates and I would burn ourselves on it if we bumped into it, and at random times throughout the day it would rattle so fiercely that it sounded like someone was downstairs banging on it with a hammer. It used to wake us up at night.
   
After I moved out of my parents' house and into apartment #1, my roommate and I were plagued with one water problem after another. Oh, and a landlord who did diddly squat about fixing these problems.
     
There was the leak over the refrigerator:
     
     
There was the dripping over the kitchen sink (clear across the room from the fridge leak):
   
This dripped on and off for 6 months before it was fixed.
   
The bathroom. (It was gross.)
   
That's the wall & ceiling above the showerhead.
This is what it looked like after 4 months, right before we moved out.
    
The sewage that backed up into the only washing machine in the duplex:
   
     
The flooding in the cellar:
     
The white paper in the bottom right of this pic is a floating
glue trap. I like to think of it as an ark for the roaches.
"All aboard! Save yourselves! Women and children first!"
     
We finally moved out of that dump and into a new duplex... this time a 2nd floor apartment, which means no water problems from upstairs neighbors. But it does mean water problems from snow, rain, and a bad roof.
   
Which has led to a leak in my bedroom ceiling:
    


   
I emailed the landlord AGAIN last night. He actually wrote me back this morning and apologized for the inconvenience. Said he's going to bring yet another roofer out to look at it.
   
Gods of Water... whatever I have done to displease you, I am truly sorry. How can I appease you? Shall I sacrifice a virgin? Leave an offering at the altar of your most holy fountain? Dance in the rain at midnight? Just tell me, and I'll do it. Because the smell of mildew and wet drywall in my bedroom is kinda gross. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment