Thursday, April 7, 2011

On the cheap.

Confession time!
  
I love a good bargain. And I'm not just talking Target. Occasionally I'll hit the Wal-Mart. Sometimes I get a yen to stroll through K-Mart. And I've been known to find quite a deal at the Dollar Tree. 

On Monday I had to run some errands, and on the way home I stopped at Big Lots. I've only been there a handful of times, and it's usually hit or miss. You can't go with something specific in mind, because you'll never find it. I like to go in with an open mind and just mosey up and down the aisles to see what's good. In the past I've found a lot of nice things: toy trucks for the son of some friends who were visiting from out of town, cloth placemats in colorful summer stripes for the dining room table, a plush nativity set for my 1st grade classroom, one-subject notebooks sold in packs of ten for $1 (also for my students). 
  
Ugly generic throw pillow. Blah.
So back to Monday. I've been searching everywhere for throw pillows for my chocolate brown Ikea sofa. The only pillows I had were the ones that came with my old couch... and they were the only thing about the couch I didn't like! In Big Lots, I found some lovely celery green pillows with a design stitched in gold thread, for $8 each! The material has kind of a shimmery effect in the light, so it's hard to capture the color on film... but I love them!
    
New pretty pillows!
A closer look at the color and design :)
   
I also found some bamboo cutting boards (2 for $8)...
  
...and a $2 basket for the bathroom. There was room on a shelf and I've been looking for something decorative to fill it. I folded a spare hand towel, put it in the basket, and voila! Instant burst of color, and it fits the space perfectly!
   
Not too shabby. I'm still looking for something to hang on a rather large empty wall over my desk, so I'll be scouting around until I find something I like. 
     
So, dear readers... do you have any favorite places to shop for bargains? Share the wealth in the comment box below and I'll check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I love finding deals in stores when the timing is right! I tend to run the gamut of the so called pharmacy chains like Walgreens, Rite-Aid and CVS for the little things on sale like coffee makers (got one for $5) and various mini gadgets that we take for granted (like an on sale Foreman Grille). And one can not forget Odd Job.

    For larger items or an all around chance at deals that are harder to come across I now use K-MART (oh yeah I said it). After all they are owned by Sears now and a lot of their stuff is Sears overages, especially at end of season times. For instance today I got a steering wheel cover for $4, another SD memory card for $10 (to be used as the Virtual RAM in another Netbook)

    For gardening they get overlooked, 40 strawberry plants (starters) for $15. Two Raspberry plants for $7.50.

    Oh and since they always get overages of gold and silver the stuff is usually 50-70% off all the time.

    Seriously...finding good deals rocks! I love the pillows, they look like they have a neat sheen to them... in one picture they're yellow and in the closeup they're green? The next item that I think needs updating is that bathroom hand towel.

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete