Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Who's gonna drive you home tonight?

I was driving home from my parents' house tonight, and as I was flipping stations on the radio (I have severe music ADD), I found a song that deserved to be cranked waaaaaaay up. 
   
If I may:
   
   
It just seemed like the perfect song to listen to at top volume while driving around at night with no particular destination in mind. Unfortunately, I had to get home to fold laundry, pack tomorrow's lunch, make coffee... the usual grown up chores.
     
Certain songs hold associations for me. "Nights in White Satin" was never one of them, but perhaps now it will remind me that I should be spontaneous and drive aimlessly around the city once in awhile :)
   
Years ago, before we were old enough to legally drink, a friend and I would drive around in my mom's old minivan listening to mix tapes that my brother made me. I don't talk to that friend anymore, but I can't hear these two songs without thinking of him and the late night excursions for coffee and conversation.
      


    
Ah, memories. Makes me wanna make the 2011 version of a mix tape - aka, playlist of mp3s :) I can call it, "songs for nighttime driving."
     
What songs would be on your list?

2 comments:

  1. The one thing I would not put onto a mix tape while driving during the night would be anything too relaxing....so I'd go with some of the following, mainly because they tend to make me want to sing:

    Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
    Vitamin C - Smile
    Garbage - Bleed Like Me
    R.E.M. - Losing my Religion.
    Fastball - The Way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE "Black Hole Sun" and "The Way." And pretty much anything by Garbage.

    Yeah, the Radiohead stuff was great for late night driving because it wasn't too slow and relaxing. And it was awesome for loud singing. I need to listen to more Radiohead... must find my mix tapes!!! (And a tape player...)

    ReplyDelete