Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Livin' it up.

I have 26 days of vacation left before I have to go back to the office. 
   
Since I worked summer school for 5 weeks, August is the only time I have off. I spent the first two days of August being lazy. I slept late, I didn't shower until the afternoon, I watched way too much HGTV and spent way too much time on Facebook. I was starting to feel like one of those perpetually sad people in the depression meds commercials. You know... the ones who stay in bed til noon and wear sweatpants all day? Yeah.
   
I finally decided that I need to nip this in the bud. I can't spend my last 26 days of vacation moping around the apartment. And really, if you've seen one episode of House Hunters, you've seen them all. So I sat down and made some lists. (You know how much I love my lists!) One is a list of things I NEED to do. One is a list of things I WANT to do. And the last one is a list of things I already have planned. My goal is to fill my days with things to do. 
   
I'll spare you the list of needs... but I will post my list of wants. And it comes with an invitation. If you know me, you know that I hate doing things by myself. I need to get better at doing that... and I'm sure I will... but for now, I wouldn't mind the company. So if there's anything on this list that you want to do with me, let me know. Call, text, email, comment, facebook, smoke signal, Morse code... whatever. Just get in touch with me and we'll make plans. 

  •  Find new Zumba class. (FYI, I LOVE my current Zumba class, but once the fall comes, I'll be teaching CCD on Tuesday nights. I need to find another class that I like on another night. I already have a list of places nearby, so I can start this anytime.)
  • Go to a farmers market. I'm not picky about which one. 
  • Go to Peddler's Village. I've been there in the fall and winter, but never in the summer. I just like to walk around there.
  • Go to New Hope. I haven't been there in ages.
  • Go to my secret beach again. That's a day trip. It's an hour away and completely worth it. 
  • Go to Wildwood. Even if it's just for the boardwalk. I need some butterfly chips and Mack's pizza.
  • Host a game night. 
  • Get a mani-pedi.
  • Drive to Centralia (yes, really), with a pit stop in Pottsville (home of the Yuengling brewery). 
  • Go to Longwood Gardens. I've been there in the spring, but they change flowers with the seasons, so I'd love to see it in the summer. (Bonus... there's a "Fireworks and Fountains" show on 8/13!)
  • Go to Philadelphia's Magic Gardens. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there, and it's right on South Street! (This outing should also include cheesesteaks at Jim's.)
  • Take my own walking tour of Historic Old City.
  • Do the walking tour offered by the Mural Arts Program.
   
I know I'm not going to get to do ALL of these things, but I'd like to hit a good percentage of them. Many of these are free or cost very little, and they're all day trips. Very easy to manage.
  
Join me on my quest to make the most of my summer vacation! Get in touch with me if you're interested in any of the above... or if you have other suggestions for me! :)

1 comment:

  1. We're headed down to Wildwood from Aug. 15th-18th if you want to meet up. We're staying in North Wildwood, place is two-three blocks from the beach. I'd also be down for Longwood Gardens, although I'll have to check the budget for that one.

    ReplyDelete