Saturday, September 8, 2007

It’s true... size DOES matter.

Today Sam and I went to look at a duplex. Everything about it was decent, except for one thing: one bedroom was significantly smaller than the other. I had also noticed this alarming trend while searching online for apartments. It seems that one bedroom is the "master bedroom," and the other is intended for either a child's room or for a home office space. It didn't appear that any place (at least any place that I found) catered to two single people who want to share an apartment. I simply can NOT afford to live on my own, thanks to the Archdiocese and their meager pay scale.... which is another blog for another time... but those of you who know me are aware that my salary - even with the increase for my masters degree - is pretty much enough to qualify me for food stamps. In fact, I have friends who don't have their masters, who are making the same or slightly less than me. Depressing. Anyway, I can't afford to live on my own, and I don't mind having a roommate at all. But I'm starting to worry that when we find a place, one of us is going to have to settle for the smaller of the two rooms. (And while we're on that subject... how in God's name do you decide who gets which room? Talk about a hairy situation.)

To make matters worse (and this is a personal issue), the young man who showed us the duplex had gone to high school with us... graduated in '99, which makes him four years younger than me. He and his wife recently moved because she's expecting their THIRD child. Lovely. So while I'm just getting around to moving out of my parents' house, people four years younger than me are having more kids than I'll ever have (at the rate I'm going, anyway).

Sorry for all the bitching, but I'm just feeling frustrated with a lot of things, and I needed to vent. Every now and then I feel like my life is right on track, until I have an exceptionally hormonally imbalanced day (such as today) to make me want to drown my sorrows in vodka.

Does anyone know if all two bedroom apartments have a similar bedroom situation? Does anyone have a reasonable solution for it? Does anyone want to take me out for some shots? (Hey, I figured it was worth a try.)

(And my apologies to Sam, for blogging about something that also concerns her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment