Saturday, September 1, 2007

Another poet

About a week ago, I wrote a post singing the praises of my favorite poet, Dorothy Parker. I was listening to my mp3 player today, and it occured to me that Fiona Apple just might be Ms. Parker's modern day equivalent. I've always found Fiona's music to be both poignant and bitter... perfect for when I was in college and everything was drama with a capital D. Although the music itself is very good, it's her lyrics that have always hit home with me. Here are some of my favorite Fiona lyrics for your enjoyment.

"You say love is a hell you cannot bear,
And I say gimme mine back and then go there for all I care."
(Sleep to Dream)


"What a cunning way to condescend:
Once my lover, and now my friend."
(Shadowboxer)


"You'll say you'd never let me fall from hopes so high,
But never is a promise and you can't afford to lie."
(Never is a Promise)


"And all I want is to save you, honey
Or the strength to walk away."
(Carrion)

"I would've warned you, but really, what's the point?

Caution could but rarely ever helps."
(To Your Love)


"You fondle my trigger, then you blame my gun."
(Limp)


"I want your warm, but it will only make me colder when it's over.
So I can't tonight, baby.
No, not "baby" anymore,
If I need you, I'll just use your simple name.

Only kisses on the cheek from now on,
And in a little while, we'll only have to wave."
(Love Ridden)


"Hunger hurts, and I want him so bad, oh it kills,
'Cause I know I'm a mess he don't wanna clean up."
(Paper Bag)


"I thought he was a man but he was just a little boy."
(Paper Bag)


"Now every other man I see
Reminds me of the

One man who disappointed me."
(Get Him Back)


"I am likely to miss the main event
If I stop to cry or complain again.
So I will keep a deliberate pace,
Let the damned breeze dry my face."
(Better Version of Me)


"I'm either so sick in the head
I need to be bled dry to quit
Or I just really used to love him,
I sure hope that's it."
(Tymps)


"The signs said 'stop'
But we went on whole-hearted
It ended bad

But I love what we started."
(Parting Gift)


"I try to talk sense to myself
But I just won't listen."
(Oh Well)


"What wasted unconditional love
On somebody who doesn't believe in the stuff."
(Oh Well)


If you're interested in checking out any of Fiona's songs for yourself, I highly recommend listening to the following tunes: Never is a Promise, Love Ridden, Get Gone, I Know, Tymps, Parting Gift, Oh Well. If you decide to give any of them a listen, let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment