Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Decking my hustle and trimming my bustle

Hello, hello to all my blogerific friends...

Haven't blogged in awhile. I've been quite busy. I have a to-do list on my white board that overwhelms me when I look at it. But I've been able to cross a few things off the list in the past few days. Nothing makes me happier than crossing things off a list. Who needs men? Who needs chocolate? Who needs alcohol? Just give me a notebook and a pen and a list of things to do. I'll be happy as... as... wait, forget what I said about not needing men and chocolate. That was foolish of me. I take it back. But I do enjoy list making.

I feel like I'm on top of a lot of things (tee hee... I said, "on top") where Christmas is concerned. The halls have been decked both at home and at work. My cards were written in November (don't hate) and mailed the first week of December. I went Christmas shopping today and nearly exhausted the limit on my new Target card. Sigh. But I'm almost done shopping, which is good.

This year I opted not to exchange gifts with my friends. Most of them are married and/or as low on cash as I am. Not to mention that there are a lot of them, and how do you decide who gets gifts and who doesn't? And quite frankly, what do you get a 30-year-old for Christmas? You either have to ask them what they want (which is just awkward, cuz then they know what you're getting them), or else take a guess and buy something that they may or may not like. Or you could always go with the ever-popular gift card exchange. Might as well just exchange cash. There was talk of a pollyanna awhile back, but plans for that went awry a few months back. So that's out. Which is just as well, because the pollyanna situation is always an iffy one. You set a price limit, but not everyone sticks to it. So you might wind up spending the full $30, while someone else only spent $15. And not everyone sticks to the suggested gift list, either... which kind of defeats the purpose. Anywho.

So I'm buying gifts for family (which includes parents, Doug, Jill, and my two young cousins), a gift for our work Pirate Party (everyone has a different name for this... when you pick a gift and the next person can either steal your gift or pick a new one, etc etc), a work Advent Angel (we leave them little gifts and such during Advent), Toys for Tots collection at work, Backpacks for Pride (fill a backpack with essential toiletries, socks, underwear, gloves, hat, plus a few small toys... for children of battered and abused women who stay in shelters), AND presents for three children of a family in my work parish. They lost their home and all their possessions in a fire, so me and a few other friends are playing Santa so that the mom doesn't have to worry about buying toys for Christmas. It's an exhausting list. But it feels good to do all that at Christmas. I should really do stuff like that all year round.

And that's what I've been up to. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment