Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I’ll be home for Christmas

This was my first Christmas away from home. It was interesting. I wrapped all my presents in the apartment and transported them to my parents' house on Christmas Eve. We had our annual feast for Christmas Eve dinner - all sorts of yummy Ukrainian foods, including borscht, pierogies (potato and sauerkraut), and buckwheat (which I refuse to touch... just the smell turns my stomach). After the extended family left, my parents and I exchanged presents with Doug and Jill. They went back to North Wales that night and then to Jill's brother's house on Christmas Day. It was the first time Doug and I didn't open all of our presents on Christmas morning. But it wasn't so bad. I stayed at the house (on the sofa bed... ugh...) and my parents and I exchanged presents in the morning. It was different without Doug, but at least we got to see him the night before. It's all good.

It's funny how much your presents change when you get "old." And how excited you get over things you would have tossed aside ten years ago. This year I got a battery operated screwdriver, an umbrella (auto open and close... yay!), flannel sheets, a bottle of blackberry brandy, perfume, flavored coffee, a book, a Target gift card, an AMC gift card (now I can go see "Sweeney Todd" for free!), and season three of "Mad About You." Plus, my parents gave me a gift bag filled with food stuff (grater, baster, hot cocoa mix, taco dinner kit, applesauce, etc), and some money to put toward furniture and stuff for the apartment. Good haul.

Now I have the rest of the week off... simply glorious! I plan to spend it well. Going to the movies, going shopping (both grocery and fun stuff, because I feel like treating myself), visiting friends, going to parties, and catching up on some reading. And whatever else I can squeeze in. And absolutely no lesson planning until sometime next week. I refuse to even think about work.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! Enjoy the rest of the Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment