Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Goodnight, nobody. Goodnight, mush.

I started back to work on Monday, so I've spent a few days readjusting to my "normal" schedule. Over break, I stayed up too late, slept later than usual, and didn't have a schedule for eating. I didn't realize how routine-driven I'd become until a few years ago, when I started to get summer insomnia. No matter how tired I got, I couldn't sleep. I don't have that problem in the summer anymore, because I make sure to stay on a schedule and work a summer job (if possible). But for some reason, I don't keep a schedule over Christmas break. I think I fool myself into thinking I can handle it. And I can't.

Anyway, I've been having trouble falling asleep the past few nights... my brain wouldn't shut off, and I started to think so much that I got anxious, which prevented me from falling asleep. So I had to work out a nighttime ritual to help me settle down. I asked a few friends for advice, and combined their best ideas into the following plan:

1. No reading in bed. (They also said no TV in bed, but I don't have a TV in my room.) Reading stimulates the brain, which makes it difficult to fall asleep. So now I read in the living room until I get tired.

2. Make sure the temperature is cool enough to need a blanket, but not so cold that I need several blankets. Low body temperature apparently helps you sleep. I didn't know that. I was always freezing at night, so I adjusted the thermostat a little.

3. No caffeine or alcohol before bed. That one was no problem. I only drink one mug of coffee in the morning, and then I have water for the rest of the day. And I rarely drink alcohol on a worknight.

4. Write in a journal before bed. I've chosen to write 5 accomplishments/happy thoughts for the day, as well as 5 goals for the next day. A friend suggested that making a to-do list for the next day would kind of give my brain permission to stop thinking about things that need to be done. I like that idea.

5. Light a lavender scented candle. It calms me.

6. Lights off when I'm tired.

7. Pray.

8. If I can't sleep, a few friends advised me to get out of bed and go into another room to do something else until I get tired.

I tried it for the first time last night, and it seemed to work. I felt better after writing, I fell asleep in the middle of prayers, and I slept until my alarm went off. So far, so good. I'm going to try it again tonight.

And before I go... a quick resolution update. Project Declutter is on temporary hiatus until the Christmas decorations are put away. Although, if you think about it, getting my apartment back to normal is a big part of decluttering. And I've been weeding out the decorations as I'm packing them away. Some things didn't get used this year, so they can get trashed or donated... depending on their condition.

Ok, time to start my bedtime ritual. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment