Sunday, December 18, 2005

a Christmas rant

I am fucking sick to death of everyone suddenly being all PC about the "holiday season." We can't say "Merry Christmas" without offending someone. We can't display a nativity scene in a public place. And certain stores now have banners advertising "holiday trees," instead of "Christmas trees." Come on, now, how many holidays in December (or any other month, for that matter) use a pine tree? You're not fooling anyone by changing the word "Christmas" to "holiday."

I don't know who is doing the complaining, but it's getting out of hand. My mother works in a large bank in Newtown that has always decorated for Christmas. This year, a customer called to complain about the decorations, saying that he would take his money out of the bank if the decorations weren't removed. The complaint made its way to the president of the bank, who ordered the decorations to be taken down. What happened next? Well, of course, several other loyal customers called to complain that there were NO decorations on display. Those complaints were also directed to the bank’s president, but he has opted to keep the bank Christmas-free. (I’m so very grateful that I work in a Catholic school, and that I’m not only allowed, but encouraged to decorate for Christmas.)

It’s not a religious thing… even though people are treating it that way. But think about it. Who exactly is pushing Christmas and Christmas carols and Christmas shopping? The media. Two stations in Philly were playing non-stop “holiday music” in November (which really means “Christmas music,” since I’ve yet to hear a Hanukkah or Kwanzaa song.) If you watch TV, read the paper, or use the Internet, you’ve been seeing ads for decorations, presents and other assorted holiday paraphernalia for over a month now.

And if people are so worked up about it being a religious issue (saying that stores who promote Christmas are favoring one religious holiday over another)… well, maybe they should take a look at the people who celebrate Christmas. I don’t want to get all holier-than-thou here, but the truth is that Christmas began as a religious holiday. There are many, many people who celebrate Christmas by putting up a tree, baking cookies and buying presents, despite the fact that they aren’t practicing Catholics/Christians. I could name several right now, but I’m not going to single anyone out, because it’s not fair to them. In our society, it’s become acceptable to turn a religious celebration into a secular, commercialized one. Look at the other holidays we celebrate. February 14th – a day that we’re urged to remember our loved ones with chocolates and cards – is the feast of Saint Valentine, a Catholic saint. March 17th – a day that many people use as an opportunity to get drunk – is the feast of Saint Patrick, another Catholic saint. Mardi Gras, a day for drinking, partying and flashing people, is the day before the Catholic season of Lent. Mardi Gras was traditionally a day to eat and drink before Lent’s 40-day period of fast and sacrifice. Even the legend of the non-religious holiday icon Santa Claus was based on a Catholic saint, Saint Nicholas, who left gifts of money for the poor people in his village.

See, I said I wasn’t going to be a holy roller, but it got kinda hard not to. I don’t have anything against non-practicing Catholics who celebrate Christmas… but it’s like me saying, “Hey, 8 days of presents sounds like a good idea. I think I’m gonna celebrate Hanukkah from now on.” It just doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure who my beef is with. The media, for forcing Christmas down our throats? Maybe. The overly sensitive people who seem to think that everything is a personal slight against them? Perhaps. At any rate, I refuse to apologize for my beliefs and opinions.

That having been said, I apologize if this blog was offensive to anyone. Happy holidays, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment