Monday, May 8, 2006

all about dresses (the boys can skip this one)

Okay, so I'm in this wedding next April. The bride-to-be called me today to "chat" (bride-speak for "talk about wedding") and I discovered that she's already picked out dresses and accessories for the bridesmaids. She's got a Spanish theme going... she's very creative like that. She wants red dresses (David's Bridal calls it Apple), gold shoes, shawls, red flowers in our hair, and possibly Spanish-style fans instead of bouquets. All well and good, in theory. However, when I looked at the dress online, I kinda panicked. David's Bridal advertises dresses "in sizes from 2-26!", but we all know that there's no guarantee that everyone will look good in a particular style. The dress she selected is one of those styles that would look best on someone with the same proportions as Barbie. It's sleeveless, very fitted, slim skirt. It will not be a very flattering look for me. I know this about myself. I'm okay with not looking good in certain styles. But how do I tell my friend that I'm not comfortable wearing such a fitted dress without sounding like I'm being petty or spoiled? After all, it is her day. Does it really matter how I look?

Before I launch into full-fledged panic, I'm going to David's Bridal to try it on. And then I'll just have to go from there, I guess. But in the meantime, any suggestions would be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment