Tuesday, May 23, 2006

decisions, decisions

I don't quite know how it happened, but I somehow wound up with way too many books to read. Back in the day, I would have considered reading (gasp!) two books at once... but Summer I semester of grad school started tonight, and I know I won't have time to do that.

After finishing The Turn of the Screw (Henry James) for book club, I ordered our next bookclub pick, The House of the Scorpion (Nancy Farmer), from Half.com. It was taking too long to arrive, so I started reading Everyone Worth Knowing (by Lauren Weisberger, author of The Devil Wears Prada, soon to be a major motion picture which will probably pale in comparison to the book). I got about halfway through that, when our school's secretary lent me The Secret Supper (Javier Sierra), a novel that deals with the secrets hidden in the works of the late, great DaVinci. I was planning to start that, but then I got into a discussion with my brother about The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown). He just saw the movie, and I plan to see it, but I'd like to re-read the book again (for the third time) before I do. So I started reading that last night.

Tonight I went to class (The Structure of School Reading Programs) and one of our class assignments is to choose one of four young adult novels to read and discuss as part of a literature circle (kind of like a book club). I chose Esperanza Rising (Pam Munoz Ryan) for the assignment. I need to have chapter one read by next Thursday. But one of the other books on the list, Pictures of Hollis Woods (Patricia Reilly Giff), sounded so interesting that I want to read that, too.

And on top of that, I have textbook chapters to read each week.

So much to read, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment