Friday, August 10, 2007

why I do what I do

So it's 12:55 AM and I'm awake (as usual). A few minutes ago I got a text (from someone who shall remain nameless, unless he choses to reveal himself ) saying I should be asleep instead of doing surveys. Fair enough. Except I don't have to sleep. I'm not working this summer. I'm not taking classes anymore (thank goodness!). I literally have nothing to do with myself all day. Don't hate. I don't need 18 comments from angry people who work all summer. Usually I do work in the summer. In fact, last summer I took 3 grad school classes and worked at a summer camp. This year I couldn't work at camp because of the Australia trip. And I decided that I deserved a summer off. I haven't had a summer off in years. But I didn't expect to be bored out of my mind.

So what do I do all day? Well, before the trip, I spent most of my time working on my resume (for a job that unfortunately didn't pan out) and getting ready for my trip (planning, shopping, packing). Since I've been home from Australia, I'll admit that I've been rather lazy. I spent my whole first week home sleeping extremely late (like 11 AM or noon) and then unpacking my suitcase or doing laundry. Then I slowly returned to the land of the living... I met friends for lunch or coffee, I went to bars at night, I got my hair cut, I started going through the pictures from my trip, I started a scrapbook of my trip. This past week I've been doing some party planning (cleaning, laundry, shopping) in between the fun stuff (like having lunch with friends).

At night, I don't get tired until at least 1 or 2 AM. My body is on a completely wacky schedule... which, incidentally, I need to get out of SOON. In a few weeks, I'll be back to waking up at 5 AM. So when it gets this late and I can't sleep, I kill time by reading or by watching Lifetime ("Will & Grace," "Frasier," and "Golden Girls"). And this week, I've also been downloading music and putting songs on a playlist for the party. So while I'm waiting for songs to upload or download, I indulge in a survey or two. Or three.

Why surveys? Hmmm. I really don't know. I guess I like talking about myself. (It's a subject in which I am well-versed. ) And it kills time. And it amuses me. And aside from that, I don't have a good answer.

But I can tell you this: next summer, I will have a job again. Even if I chaperone another concert tour, I'm gonna do tutoring or something in my free time. I need to keep myself busy so I don't feel so damn lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment