Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Tale of Slick and Spike

I went to Great American tonight for dinner and drinks with Heather and Sam. After we ate (I had a yummy Philly cheesesteak wrap), we headed for the bar to take advantage of the Saturday night drink special (all drinks were almost half off). Through the glass partition, I could see two men sitting in a booth in the dining area waiting for their meal. One had a shaved head, glasses and a button down shirt, and he bore a slight resemblence to Moby. I nicknamed him "Slick." The other had the dark, messy, spiky hair that I absolutely LOVE on guys and was dressed more casually in jeans and a t shirt. He was christened "Spike." Because I found Spike quite attractive, I found myself glancing in the direction of their table every once in awhile. I quickly became intrigued by their actions, which I narrated to an amused Heather and Sam.

In front of each man was a black binder. They flipped through their binders, pausing from time to time to discuss their contents. From my seat in the bar section, it was difficult to determine what the mysterious binders contained. Since I couldn't figure it out, I made several educated guesses.

Scenario 1: The men were discussing work. This wasn't very exciting, so I moved on to...

Scenario 2: Both men are working on their doctoral dissertations, and met at the restaurant to proofread the other's work. While this idea had merit (men who are cute AND smart), I felt it lacked imagination. Enter...

Scenario 3: The men are writing a screenplay, a la Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. Perhaps they were brainstorming the next "Good Will Hunting," right there in the restaurant!

At this point, Sam decided to do some reconnaissance work. She moseyed past their table in search of a drink menu, but managed to take a glance at the now infamous binder AND overhear part of a conversation. As a result of her mission, we believed at least one of the binders to contain sheet music, and according to Sam, the men were discussing something about lyrics. A-ha! This led me to...

Scenario 4: The men are going to audition for American Idol! Philadelphia audutions are being held on Monday. Maybe the binders contain lyrics and sheet music, as well as maps and instructions for the audition process. Sam then proposed...

Scenario 5: Maybe Spike was writing a screenplay and Slick was composing the soundtrack. By now, the suggestions were just plain silly, so it was no surprise when I came up with...

Scenario 6: They're really top secret government agents discussing top secret government agent work. All hush-hush.

And that's how I entertain myself at bars.

On a completely unrelated topic... As I was driving home tonight, I heard "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche on the radio. I haven't heard that song in AGES and I forgot how much I love it. I actually sat in my car in front of my house for a few extra minutes just to hear the end. I noticed how much it reminded me of a Pink Floyd song, possibly "Mother" or "Learning to Fly." Anyone else ever notice that similarity? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, it inspired me to make a playlist of the perfect songs to listen to in the car while cruising around the city aimlessly at night. I'm taking suggestions for songs that would fit the playlist. I'll post the song list when it's finished. And then if anyone wants to come along for the ride... you know where to find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment