Sunday, February 12, 2006

snow day? please??

It's 7:15 PM. The KYW website said they would start reporting school closings at 7 PM. I just checked, and right now there is no listing for Philadelphia Public and Parochial Schools. Damnit. I can't stand the waiting. My dad says I'm worse now than when I was in grade school. I beg to differ. I just want to know, is all. I want to find out if I should work on my lesson plans and weekly homework sheet now, or if I'll have all day tomorrow to worry about it.

I'm going to assume that we have school, despite the foot of snow on the ground. I cleaned the snow off of my car today, just in case. Of course I have to park on the street, because my parents have dibs on the driveway. (Just one of the many, many reasons I need to move out...) The curb next to the passenger side of my car was the dumping ground for the driveway snow. The driver's side of my car got plowed in. So I'm parked between two walls of snow. Lovely. If you're awake tomorrow morning at around 6:45 AM and need a good laugh, please feel free to check out my one woman show. I will attempt a feat of daring acrobatics by climbing over the wall of snow (balancing my totebag, purse, coffee and car keys), opening the car door, dumping all of my stuff inside (without spilling the coffee), getting myself in the car, body first, so as not to get snow on the pedals. I will then kick my snow-encrusted boots against the side of the car, thus removing any remaining winter precipitation from my person. Finally, I will start the car, back it up clear of the snow fortress, and angle myself into oncoming traffic. Ta-daaaa!

A snow day would be just fabulous.

I didn't sleep well last night. I watched TV in bed until about 1:30 AM, and then I decided to get some sleep. I woke up at 3 because some asshole kids were riding their ATVs around the block for about half an hour. Then I woke up again at 4, coughing. I didn't have any cough drops upstairs, so I had to go downstairs to fetch them. All that movement woke me up, and it took me awhile to fall back asleep. At around 6, I heard thunder, swore I was dreaming, started to fall back asleep, and then heard it again. Thunder and lightning during a blizzard? WTF? Woke up again at 7:30, fell back asleep and woke up for good at 8:30. Not a good night's sleep by any stretch of the imagination.

I think I'll go work on my lesson plans, just in case. Best to err on the side of caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment