Monday, June 18, 2007

everything hits at once

The past week has been crazy. To sum up last week: work, work, work, finishing grades, writing report cards, making an awards list, cleaning up the entire classroom, shoving as much as I could into closets. Friday was our last day, and while it was short (two hours), it was emotionally draining. It was the last day for our principal, our third grade teacher and our fifth grade teacher. So the entire week was pure chaos.

After school on Friday, the faculty went to breakfast (an annual tradition). And from there, I picked up Sam and we headed to New York for the weekend. That's a blog for later. I promise I'll get to it.

On Sunday morning (Father's Day), I got a text from Mike at 7 AM saying that Erin was in labor. I didn't expect to hear anything from them until later in the afternoon, but he texted back two hours later to say that Henry Michael was born at 8:38 AM. Probably the shortest labor in history. He came two weeks early, so no one was really expecting it.

When I came home from NY, I found out that my uncle (and godfather) had passed away on Saturday night. He had been sick with throat cancer and receiving treatment, but he developed bronchitis and had complications from that... anyway, it happened pretty quickly, and it's still kind of a shock.

Today I went to visit Erin, Mike and Henry in the hospital. Everyone is well and the baby is absolutely adorable. Of course. It's still so weird to think of Erin and Mike as parents, but they're already pros. Mike's got swaddling down to a science. Henry looked like a little baby burrito.

And then about half an hour ago, I got a phone call from a school district that I had applied to months ago. I had thought it was a lost cause, since I hadn't heard anything from them. Now they want to set up an interview for this week. Yikes! I'm nowhere near ready for that. I need to get my portfolio together and find interview clothes and brush up on my interview skills... it's kind of overwhelming right now. But wish me luck. As much as I love my current place of employment, I really need to find a job that pays more money.

I leave for Australia in less than two weeks. I have about 12 days to get ready (physically and mentally). Holy shit.

And that's what's been going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment