Wednesday, September 7, 2005

You can't always get what you want

Crappy title, cuz I bit off an overplayed song. But whatever.

The first day of school was fine. The kids are cute. I think I'm up to 19 kids, which is still the smallest class I've ever taught. Not too shabby.

My complaint is with the events that occured after work. I recently purchased an MP3 player that is NOT an ipod. (I'm a non-conformist. And my brother recommended it.) I want to play it in my car, so I need to buy an FM transmitter. And a car antenna, because mine was stolen last year. Doug said he'd go with me for the trip to Best Buy, provided we could stop at Dan's house to pick something up.

We went to Best Buy (against my better judgement) first to look for the transmitter. The less-than-helpful employee showed us 3 different ipod accessories, despite the fact that Doug very clearly stated that I don't have an ipod. A point which I later reiterated, to no avail. Anyway, they don't carry a transmitter for any other player.

Fine.

So then I went to Pep Boys to get an antenna. I told the guy who "helped" me what kind of car I have, and he showed me an antenna with this huge monster power motor thing attached to it (which, to the best of my knowledge, goes inside the car somewhere). For $69.99. Okay, let me get this straight - someone stole my antenna by unscrewing it, and I have to pay $70 plus installation to replace it? How is that possible? Can't I just buy another antenna to screw into the hole? It's not one of those fancy antennas that retracts. I could just go unscrew one from another Elantra on my street and pop it in my car. But I'm not like that. I'm going to call the car dealership where I bought the car, and see if they can help me.

Finally, we went to Dan's house, where Doug picked up his wind screen. It's something that attaches to a mike to reduce certain sounds, as Doug explained it to me, but as far as I can see, it's just a screen that's been spit on by Ray and Doug. Ick.

On the way home, some Tom Petty cheered me up considerably. How can you be sad when he's enjoying his last dance with Mary Jane? You just can't. Awesome song, great lyrics, and kick ass harmonica solos. I can just picture him taking a hit of his joint before he blows it out of the harmonica. That's why it sounds so groovy.


But some good came out of this. I bought season one of "Lost" when I was at Best Buy. Seven hours of creepy island fun... whoo-hoo!

(And btw, Ray? "Almost Famous" rocked my world. Amazing movie, unbelievable soundtrack. Made me wanna sing "Tiny Dancer" on a tour bus with In Theory. Someday... )

No comments:

Post a Comment