Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Short stories from summer school...

A few short stories from the past 3 weeks of summer school, for your enjoyment.
   
Timothy is a 6 year old bilingual Vietnamese boy. He's very bright, but gets a little confused about the easy concepts, which might be because of the language barrier. One day in math class we were sorting buttons in different ways - by color, size, shape, number of holes, etc. I put the buttons in piles by size and asked Tim to tell me how they're sorted. "They're all the same shape." he said. "Good try, but no," I said. I turned to call on another boy, but Tim interrupted me. "I know!" he shouted. "They're all the same... shape!" Close, but no cigar, kid.
   
Robert is another 6 year old who has a little trouble sitting still. He was rocking in his chair (after I warned him not to) and fell out of it, landing on his rear end. "Are you okay?" I asked as he stood up. "I'm fine," he said, rubbing his bottom, "but I bumped my noggin."
   
Julio is one of my 7 year old boys. He's fluent in Spanish and working on his English. The things that come out of his mouth are funny... usually unintentionally, though.
   
Last week on a particularly hot day, one of the teachers bought ice pops for all the kids. (Those sugar filled frozen things in the plastic tubes... blech...) Julio was quite enamored with his treat, and expressed his love by saying, "Oh baby... if you could cook, I would marry you."
   
Earlier this week, he brought a lemonade juice box with his snack. He didn't want to finish the whole thing though... according to him, "Lemonade makes you peep a lot. All drinks do."

No comments:

Post a Comment