Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer School Stories, part I

When I was a classroom teacher, I found myself grabbing for scrap paper every time one of my first graders said something funny. It happened so often that I finally started carrying a notebook to record the things they said. Teaching summer school reminds me how much I miss interacting with kids on a daily basis. After the first day, I started keeping paper nearby to write down what some of my boys say. 
   
A quick background: I have a combined kindergarten-1st grade class. So far I have 5 students total, all boys. I have 7 on my roster, but 3 never showed up, and then 1 who wasn't on the original list started at the end of the second week. It's like a complicated math problem.
  
So for the next 3 weeks I'll be occasionally blogging about some of the things my boys say... starting with my notes from the last 2 weeks :)
  
Each week has a theme for reading... the theme for week 2 was "Pets." As part of a writing activity, one of my kindergarteners wrote the following:
  
"My pet ets pnus."
  
Translation: "My pet eats peanuts." But that's definitely NOT what it looks like. Time to work on stretching a word to hear ALLLL the sounds! :)
    
Also in week 2... we had a discussion about pets, where we went around the table and told about a pet we have. If a student didn't have a pet, he told what pet he would like to have. I got to the last child, who said, "I have 2 rats under my bed." 
   
"Are they your pets?" I asked.
   
"No."
   
"Where did they come from?" (And I kinda didn't want to know the answer...)
   
"Oh, because we eat upstairs in the bedroom." 
   
I really, really hope that was just a story he made up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment