Tuesday, July 26, 2011

ZUMBA!!!

When I first started my Confidence Goal in January, I didn't quite know where it would lead me. All I knew for sure is that I wanted to concentrate on stepping outside of my comfort zone in any way possible. 
         
Two years ago, I made a resolution to exercise more. I remember writing that exercise had been "my Everest," because I just couldn't motivate myself to make it a regular part of my routine. The purchase of a wii got me up and moving a little more, and a walking game for the wii got me excited about exercising almost daily. I still couldn't quite take the next step to join a gym. I considered myself too out of shape for something like that. I wasn't comfortable moving and sweating in front of other people (who, in my head, were already skinny and toned and incredibly adept at all of the equipment and moves). 
      
And then I started hearing people talk about Zumba. First it was a few co-workers, then some friends on Facebook. I started finding videos on youtube to see what it was all about and I was instantly intrigued. Then one day, a friend posted on Facebook saying that she wanted to lose weight, and I suggested Zumba. We found a class nearby, got a group together, and went for it. 
         
I LOVED it. The music, the moves, the energy. Sure, the first class was rough. I was a little uncoordinated and I was dripping sweat when it was over. But I definitely liked it enough to go back and try it again. Since then, I've made it a weekly (and sometimes twice weekly) part of my routine. 
   
The class is full of REAL women... thank goodness. They wear old t-shirts and messy ponytails and they sweat and they occasionally miss a step or two. Not like the ones you see in the ads and infomercials, with the cropped shirts and perfect abs and flawless movements:
   
   
I'm glad that I found something that I not only enjoy, but look forward to. I'm proud of my ability to stick with the entire hour without stopping (save for the occasional gulp of water from my ever present bottle, of course). Surprisingly, I have become completely comfortable with myself during the class. After the first week, I stopped worrying about how I looked because, let's face it, no one is looking at me - they're all too busy concentrating on their own moves. 
   
Once autumn comes, I won't be able to attend my regular Tuesday class, since I'll be teaching CCD again this year. I guess I'll have to find a class on a different night... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 
   
I'll leave you with these videos from youtube. Just a little taste of what goes on in a Zumba class, in case you were thinking about trying it for yourself. Now if you'll excuse me... I need to go lace up my sneakers. I've got some booty shaking to do tonight :)
   
   



No comments:

Post a Comment