Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wanderlust.

I was driving to work this morning, and the highway was crowded and way more traffic-y than usual. I wanted to just take the nearest exit and make a break for it. It was way too nice of a day to be at work. The humidity had dropped, the sky was an absolutely gorgeous blue dotted with fluffy white clouds... it was the perfect day to play hooky and run for the beach (or pool or something similar). Unfortunately, with my summer job I only get paid if I show up. Such is life. Anyway, I was digging through my glove compartment looking for some tunes, and I found one of my old mix CDs called "Road Trip." Well, of course I had to pop it in :)
  
I made this CD about 10 years ago... but I gotta say, most of the music still holds up for me. Not every song is about driving and road trips. For some songs, it was more about the feel of the music. Does it make me want to roll down the windows and crank up the volume while I cruise the highway? Then it works for me. 
  
Here's a tracklist of the CD, with links to the youtube videos for reference... in case you don't know a song. I'd love to remake this (some of the songs are poor quality, and there are one or two I want to drop), so if you can think of something to add, feel free to make a suggestion!

  1. Drive (R.E.M.) - This one stays. For obvious reasons.
  2. Learning to Fly (Pink Floyd) - I've always felt like this was a perfect song for just taking off on a spur of the moment trip. 
  3. Jane Says (Jane's Addiction) - This one has nothing to do with driving. Or road trips. There's just something about the song that feels like it belongs here. 
  4. Walk This World (Heather Nova) - I adore this song. And it fits in with the theme. A definite keeper.
  5. Low (Cracker) - Much like #3, this is not about driving, but it still works. 
  6. Tempted (Squeeze) - A definite road trip staple. (And this scene from "Reality Bites" makes it even more perfect!)
  7. One Headlight (Wallflowers) - Not only do they sing about driving, but there's a steady, driving beat to this song that makes it perfect for this CD. (Bonus... Jakob Dylan is HOT.)
  8. Take a Picture (Filter) - This one is all about the beat. It's a keeper. 
  9. Something About You (Level 42) - Another one I chose for the feel. This is a personal favorite of mine and reminds me of someone I used to go road-tripping with.
  10. Everlong (Foo Fighters) - Okay, so I guess there's an entire block of songs that I just chose for the feel of the music. This one is another keeper. It makes me wanna hit the gas pedal and fly. 
  11. Where the Streets Have No Name (U2) - Self explanatory. It's all about the journey, baby.
  12. One (Creed) - I have no idea why. It's definitely getting cut.
  13. Machinehead (Bush) - I don't know what this song is about. But it's got the right sound for driving fast, so it's a keeper. Plus there's fast driving in the video :)
  14. Are You Gonna Go My Way (Lenny Kravitz) - I really want to like this song on here. But everytime I listen to the CD, I hit the skip button. I don't know why. I think it might get cut.
  15. Rearviewmirror (Pearl Jam) - Yes. Hell yes. This is such a kickass song. Vrooooooom.
  16. Babylon (David Gray) - Another song that fits with the theme... but I just don't find myself loving it like I used to. It might get cut. Maybe.
So that's the CD. Like I said, I want to revamp it a little... maybe move a few songs around, cut the ones that don't work for me, and add a few new ones. I'm very open to song suggestions. The comments are open... go use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment