Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Let it snow!

It's probably too late for me to be writing a new blog, especially since my Wednesday-Thursday school starts at 7:45 AM. But it's been snowing all night and it's supposed to snow straight through until the morning. We might have a snow day or we might just have a delayed opening... but the anticipation of a possible day off makes me giddy. I know that I still have to go out and shovel, and I know that if we use too many snow days we'll have to make them up in June. That doesn't stop me from wishing it would happen.

As I've gotten older I've noticed that there are less things to get excited about than there used to be. When we were kids, Christmas was a magical time... Santa Claus and presents and days off from school to play with all the new toys. Birthdays meant parties and gifts, a cake decorated with favorite cartoon characters, balloons and streamers in the living room. And snow days were filled with sledding, snowmen, hot chocolate and (best of all) no school or homework.

I still celebrate Christmas and birthdays and every other holiday... but in a different way. I still enjoy those holidays, but I appreciate them more because I know how much work goes into making them happen. Sometimes I think it would be nice to relive one more Halloween and go trick-or-treating in my Smurfette costume. Or one more Strawberry Shortcake birthday party (complete with themed favor bags for my guests). Or one more roller skating party at the Palace.

At least I think I would. But then again, maybe not.

When I imagine having a snow day now, I don't think about sledding or snowmen. I've become one of those grown-ups who glares at the kids for throwing snowballs while they wait for the school bus. You couldn't pay me to go outside and make snow angels. (I can say this because I don't have kids. I know all the mommies out there are just itching to roll around in the cold, wet snow with their little darlings. More power to ya, sisters.) My idea of a perfect snow day consists of hot coffee, bad daytime television, comfy clothes, and a chance to take a mid-afternoon nap... just because I can.

Bring it on, Mother Nature. I'm ready :)

No comments:

Post a Comment