Monday, January 3, 2011

The other resolutions

Before I came up with The Confidence Goal, I started making a list of resolutions. This was the last draft I made before I decided to scrap it and go with something easier:

1. Get better at being alone. Learn to enjoy doing things by myself. Be less dependent on others for my source of fun.
2. Make travel plans for someplace outside of the country. (I haven’t left the USA since 2007.)
3. Accept as many invitations as possible.
4. Continue to improve money management (keep credit cards paid off, pay down student loan as much as possible, set up house fund).
5. Go back to school.
6. Read at least one book a month.

I think it's interesting that several of my resolutions reflect my Confidence Goal. Somewhere in my subconscious, I've been heading in this direction all along. So maybe it wasn't such an impulsive decision after all! ;-)

Even though I'm not officially making these resolutions, I'm not quite ready to let them go. I think #4 and #5 are pretty important. Technically #4 is a carry-over from last year, which is why I used the word "continue." And going back to school is sort of a necessity. As a PA certified teacher, I'm expected to earn continuing education credits to keep my certificates current. Also, once I reach 30 credits, my salary gets bumped up. So it's win-win :)

Resolutions #1 and #3 might seem slightly contradictory, but there was a method to my madness. Last year, I resolved to improve my social life, and I think I succeeded. I just had to redefine my idea of "being social." My friends don't go dancing or clubbing anymore. There are no spontaneous girls' nights out, because babysitters need to be arranged, and schedules need to be cleared with husbands, etc. As a result, my new social life is made up of more low-key activities. It's not bad. I'm learning to like it. (But sometimes I really miss dancing.) So resolution #1 comes from my constant need to want to see people and do things. Being social isn't a bad thing, but sometimes I need to be alone and do things by myself. And #3 (which is my personal favorite) allows me to be social, but kind of forces me to branch out a bit.

As for #2 and #6... well, they're just fun. And having fun builds confidence, right?

So even though I'm not actually resolving to do any of these things, there's no harm in keeping them on the backburner.

No comments:

Post a Comment