Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Snow Day done right.

I don't know if it's just people on the East Coast (or maybe just people in Philly) but as soon as the word "snow" leaves a weather forecaster's lips, all hell breaks loose. For days before the predicted storm (and I'm not exaggerating here), all we talk about is snow:

How much will we get? When will it start? Will it change to rain? Will it freeze over? Remember last year's storm? I thought they said we weren't supposed to get as much as last year! I wonder if schools will be closed.

It becomes an obsession. People rush the stores for bread, milk and eggs - snow makes people crave French toast, it seems. And rock salt is nowhere to be found.

Sometime last week (after having 2 days of two hour delays for our city's schools), rumors began to circulate about a storm hitting on Wednesday. The weird thing was that every website and news channel was reporting a different story. And they were being very wishy-washy about the details. I heard 4-8 inches. I heard rain changing to snow changing to rain. I heard the snow would stop by midnight. Right before I went to bed, I heard 6-12 inches. We got 16. It snowed through the night and by this morning, I could barely see my car.
My car @ 12:30 AM
Since I'm an old pro at this snow day thing, I planned in advance. Over the weekend, I had to do some grocery shopping. While I was there, I made sure to stock up on the essentials: toilet paper, ingredients for chicken noodle soup, milk, eggs... the usual. Oh, and I found a 25 pound bag of rock salt... SCORE!

Yesterday the schools dismissed at noon because of the weather, so I got home nice and early. I started a big pot of homemade chicken soup for dinner. I spent my night chatting with other teacher friends on Facebook and making predictions about a snow day... and then celebrating when the school district called it at 10 PM. Then I got to stay up a little later than usual, so I chatted with a friend online and caught up on a few episodes of "Big Love" on DVD.

This morning I slept in, then made a big snow day breakfast: banana multigrain pancakes, bacon, chicken apple sausage, and chocolate raspberry coffee. Then I tackled the shoveling... and a neighbor helped me dig out my car, which was awesome.

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing random things just for the hell of it. I baked apple bread, gave myself a manicure, watched a few more episodes of "Big Love," read my book club book, and talked to my best friend on the phone. Dinner was leftover chicken soup (always better the second day!)... dessert was apple bread (YUM) and a glass of white wine.

By 6:45 PM, the school district had already called a snow day for tomorrow, so I can have another glass of wine and go to bed without setting my alarm. Sweet deal.

I know we'll probably have to make up these snow days later in the school year, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I got an unexpected long weekend and I'm going to enjoy it :)

2 comments:

  1. You forgot that said neighbor is apparantly hot, and that you don't know his name. We will figure out a method of remedying this situation, even if it involves me creating some type of scene in front of your apartment so he will come out to help or stare. Until then, I'm voting for baked goods with a cute note, and hold a game night soon so you can invite him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bad enough that I'm getting harrassed on facebook... now you're doing it on my blog? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete