Thursday, January 20, 2011

Zen and the Art of Dog Walking.

I visit my parents every Wednesday for dinner, and since I get there before they get home from work, I take the dog for a walk.

Tasha is a master of manipulation. If something happens once (i.e., she gets a treat after relieving herself), she expects it every time. Her new trick is to dance around by the back door and insist that she has to go out. Once she's out there, God knows what she actually does. She doesn't have to pee, because she was JUST walked. But she knows full well that if she comes in from out back and runs to the closet where treats are kept, she'll get a little snack. As my mother says, "Well, sometimes she goes. So she knows she gets a treat when she does." Manipulation, I tells ya!

A few weeks ago, I came to walk her and decided to take her to the woods behind the houses across the street. She was in her glory. So now every Wednesday when I come to walk her, she immediately pulls me down the street to the corner, and refuses to squat until we cross the street and head for the woods. I suppose that one was my fault. I really don't mind doing it... I just think it's amazing that she not only remembers, but expects, that I will take her back to the Land of Many Good Smells.
So it has become our little ritual. We both get some fresh air and exercise. Tasha gets to stalk squirrels. I get to enjoy the scenery (and I'm not referring to the beer cans). It's win-win.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha "Land of Many Smells" exactly what a dog would think. I love it along with Bella's personal favorite : "area where I can randomly run full speed for no reason, pulling my owner halfway to center city in minutes"... or as I call it : "Roland Ave"

    kudos on the pics, it is about time you spruced up your blog! after all, you will be rereading this in the future and it is for posterity!

    but one correction, your dog called me, she said to tell you her real name is SASHA and that she missed me immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psh. She said nothing of the sort.

    ReplyDelete