Friday, August 19, 2005

Am I old? (Please say no...)

Today is my godson's 14th birthday. Since I didn't know what to buy him, I decided to take him to the mall and let him pick out what he wanted instead. We spent the day at Willow Grove Mall (his request), and it was quite an experience. The last time I spent the day with a 14 year old was... well, probably when I was 14 (which was like 13 years ago).

We went to a music store, where he browsed through some choice CDs: AC/DC, Beatles, Beastie Boys, System of a Down, Green Day. He showed his obvious ignorance to good music by asking me, "Dree, what CD is 'Sergeant Pepper' on?" I sighed. Shook my head. Held up the Sergeant Pepper CD.

Then he made me feel old. He talked about some bands he listens to. One is called Mustard Plug. Now I consider myself to be pretty up-to-date on the latest cartoons, kiddie trends, and music with my first graders... but apparently, I know nothing about 14 year olds. I have never heard of Mustard Plug. I'm kind of afraid to find out what they sing.

We went to stores like Hot Topic and Spencers. He bought two giant silver belt buckles (one was a flaming Cadillac), a bracelet made out of a bike chain, an early Beastie Boys CD, and a mini Sharpie marker to clip to one of the many chains draped across his drooping jeans.

He laughed at jokes that I thought he was too young to understand. He let some curses slip, leading me to believe that he uses that kind of language around his friends. (Did I curse when I was 14? I don't remember!) He talked to me about his friends, his girlfriend (what?!?), his blog on Xanga, his plans to start a ska band. We debated the merits of Family Guy and Simpsons. We ate a gourmet Mexican meal (aka - Taco Bell). And then I had to take him home, because he "might have missed some phone calls."

Wow. He's all grown up. It's kinda scary.

(I bought Doug a kick-ass new T-shirt... he said he's gonna wear it to Street Road tomorrow, so make sure you check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment