Thursday, August 25, 2005

I don't got game.

Why is The Sims so damn addictive??? I've been playing it non-stop since Doug gave it to me, and I don't even like video games. In fact, if you put one in front of me right now, I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do. (True story.)

I mean, I have a general knowledge of what's out there. PS2 and Game Boy Advance and XBox and such. Mostly because I teach first grade, and the average first grader is obsessed with anything that will numb their brain for hours on end. But this goes way back to when we had a functioning Nintendo. (No numbers or addendums here. Just "Nintendo." The gray, boxy one. Remember that?) I played Tetris, Legend of Zelda, Dr. Mario and Super Mario Brothers (but only 1 and 3... 2 was hokey). And honestly, that's probably the last time I touched any sort of game system.

And even back then, I didn't like video games much. I remember when I used to have my New Year's Eve parties in the basement, and I'd have to hide the Nintendo in the closet so that the boys wouldn't feel compelled to play in the middle of my party.
But now it's like I'm coming full circle. Technology is taking over the world, and I can't fight it. I have a laptop, a digital camera, a camera phone, and a Palm pilot. This summer, I've been on the computer more often than not. Reading/posting blogs, researching lessons for this coming school year, playing Freecell and Yahtzee, creating South Park characters on a website Doug found, reading/writing email... and now The Sims.

Damn Sims.

No comments:

Post a Comment