Sunday, October 16, 2005

weekend o'rock

My Weekend O' Rock (which began with Weezer/Foo on Thursday) continued on Friday night. I went to Grape Street with Doug & Ray, where we met up with Tom, Remy, Kay, Doug's friend Jill and someone else that I'm probably forgetting. We saw 4 bands total - 3 full sets, and the tail end of a band that was playing when we came in. Lemme test my memory for a minute: Rebel Saints, Idiosympathy, Wayne Junction, Jealousy Curve. I'm pretty sure that's right. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

My review of the bands is as follows:

Rebel Saints - Eh. I could take 'em or leave 'em. Some of their stuff was kinda quirky, but I couldn't decide if I liked them or not.

Idiosympathy - Very very cool. Kind of a combination of Coldplay, Radiohead, and maybe a little bit of Travis. Plus the lead singer made John Mayer faces while he played his guitar. I was impressed enough to buy their CD for $5.

Wayne Junction - Not bad, but nothing spectacular either. I had a hard time understanding the singer. But they did a kick-ass cover of "Elenore Rigby."

Jealousy Curve - Definitely the highlight of the evening. I was blown away by how good they were. To borrow a Ray word - they were "tremendous." I usually get bored when a band is playing songs I don't know, but that wasn't the case this time. I bought their CD as well, and I expect to wear it out in my car's CD player. :)

Other highlights from the evening include: the Big Red sing-along in the car, the peanut butter and jelly video (does anyone know who that was?!), the discovery of Ray's gangsta side (musically speaking, that is), killing my cell phone battery by taking blurry pics, and of course, the drinking of beer. Beer is always good.

All in all, a solid night of rock. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment