Wednesday, August 23, 2006

That's a whole lotta girly

My mom won a "free Mary Kay demo," which I think is just slang for "you think you won something, but really you just agreed to let me come over and talk you into buying makeup." The woman promised my mom it would be fun. "Just like high school!" she gushed on the answering machine. She told us to invite people if we wanted to, so I sent out the word... and I actually got some takers! Besides me and my mom, we also had Becky, Melissa, Sam and Mary Kate. We all tried on some makeup and had our hands pampered. And damnit, I actually enjoyed myself. I tried so hard not to. I was snarky and sarcastic and made all sorts of snide remarks about the girliness of it all. But in the end, I wound up buying cleanser. And makeup. And that hand pampering stuff. Shoot.

Tomorrow I'm entertaining my 7-year-old cousin for the day. She requested a day with me to do "girly" things. Clearly she doesn't know me at all. According to her, she wants to do makeup, play with the dog, watch cartoons (she doesn't have cable at home), swim (if the weather holds), and bake something. Should be a hoot. I guess I can't blame her for wanting to spend time with me. She has an older brother and 4 uncles. Her only aunt is a field hockey coach who is more interested in sports than doing makeovers. I'm the closest thing she has to a female role model, which is a frightening thought. So I'm gonna suck it up and be girly tomorrow.

Lordy... next thing you know, I'll be wearing pink ribbons in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment